e-flux Conversations has been closed to new contributions and will remain online as an archive. Check out our new platform for short-form writing, e-flux Notes.

e-flux conversations

The dictionary of non-notable artists

http://www.insidetheartworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/artist-604cs052113.jpg

After the artist and author Gregor Weichbrodt noticed his Wikipedia page was nominated for deletion for failing to meet notability guidelines, he had a stroke of artistic genius: he downloaded all of the deleted Wikipedia entries for actors, authors, and artists that failed to meet notability guidelines and turned it into a directory of non-notable artists. You can check out Weichbrodt’s thoughts on the project below, and download the dictionary via PDF on his own website here.

Every day, people on Wikipedia nominate articles for deletion and discuss whether they should remain in the encyclopedia or not. This is done on a sub page called “Articles for deletion”. A frequent reason for exclusion of an entry is “non-notability”.

After I had a look at those discussions, the article about my own person (Gregor Weichbrodt) ironically became nominated for deletion from the German Wikipedia, too. The anonymous person that put me on the list wrote “Completely misses notability criteria for ‘authors’. Unsatisfying notability criteria for artists too.”

I wrote a Python script to download the contents of every “articles for deletion”-page from the past ten years and filter the results by artistic occupation. I saw that I wasn’t alone in my fate and that there were many more non-notable artists in this world who also failed to meet the notability criteria. This book is dedicated to these artists.

This is a Frohmann Verlag and 0x0a project, released on Sep 29, 2016.

The dictionary is arranged as such:

Actor
Amanda Aardsma
non-notable actress/former beauty queen.

Owen Aaronovitch
non-notable actor.

Aarushi
The actress is not famous.

Peter Abbay
Non-notable actor.

Dalton Abbott
Non-notable actor with only one credit to his name (at the age of two).

Chris Ackerman
Non-notable actor with only 1 major starring role.

Robert Ackerman
Non-notable actor.

Arthur Adams
Non-notable actor.

Jack Adams
Non-notable actor.

Faye Adell
Non-notable actress who had minor roles in mostly non-notable German films/TV shows.

Prachee Adhikari
Non-notable actress.

Nivas Adithan
Very minor actor who has only been active since early-mid 2012.

Swati Aggarwal
Non-notable actress.

Greg Akcelrod
Akcelrod is not an actor, he only played as an extra in two movies not released.

Mohamed Akhzam
Actor with just one role.

Joshua Alba
Non-notable actor.

Antonio Albadran
Non-notable actor.

Dion Albanese
Actor with one credit to his name, a bit part in a movie 40 years ago.

Aaron Albert
Actor with no major roles or significant recurring roles.

Alejandro Alcondez
Non-notable actor.

Enrique Alejandro
Non-notable actor.

*Image of artist on the floor via insidetheartworld.com

1 Like