e-flux Conversations has been closed to new contributions and will remain online as an archive. Check out our new platform for short-form writing, e-flux Notes.

e-flux conversations

Is parenthood the enemy of creative work?

In New York magazine, author Kim Books reflects on the creative challenges of women who, like her, are writers and mothers. After struggling to carve out time away from parenthood for writing, she realizes that parenthood itself can be a worthy subject of creative work. An excerpt:

What was more unusual were women who were willing to talk about ways in which they accepted that their devotion to art made them, at least at times, less of a parent. One of those was writer and mother Zoe Zolbrod. Like me, she has two children. Like me, she is about to publish a book she struggled to write through the early years of motherhood. We talk about the various challenges of writing, parenting, working a day job, stealing time. “The truth,” she says, “is that I think I’m a better mom when I’m not writing. I’m not writing right now and I’m enjoying the kids more. I’m better at home when I’m writing less.” When she’s engrossed in her work, it’s different. “My eyes glaze over or something when I’m going off into that other place, and my daughter notices it and doesn’t like it. Like we’re sitting on the floor coloring together. And I’m getting in my zoned-out space and she’s always watching to see when I do that. ‘Don’t make your face like that,’ she says. She just watches me really closely, and she’s less satisfied with what I can’t give her. She senses that I’m keeping something to myself. It never feels like it’s enough.”

I don’t want to believe it — that parenting itself makes art hard, that you must always sacrifice one for the other, that there is something inherently selfish and greedy and darkly obsessive in the desire to care as much about the thing you are writing or making as you do about the other humans in your life. What parent would want to believe this?

Image: Alice Neel, Portrait of Nancy and the Twins (five months), 1971.

I wouldn’t say so at all: It’s a difficult perspective taken here. Parenthood isn’t an enemy of anything as long as we are not starting to think of it as a separated category. Parenthood is something that is woven in our genetics and therefore ist shouldn’t inhibit any of our passions. I guess this feeling of being a mother/father on one side and being a writer/creative on the other is just a consequence of a more and more self-centric way of imagine ourselves. In fact parenthood makes creative work even more reasonable, as creating something is shaping (even if its just tiny) the world on which our children will raise.
Being a mother and a full-time dayworker and a writer I learned for myself, the best way of being able to do all of it, is to embrace it and sharing all with my child. And being present in the moment, (as much I actually hate this overused impression ) And if its not possible because something triggers our creative parts, than just share it. don’t zoom out, zoom in.

Parenthood is the maidservant of capitalism; capitalism is oft produced by/with multiplying consumers (as observed in my European-US context.) If an unsettling of normative, oppressive structures is central to a (reproductive) maker then how do these double-producers reconcile the contradiction between the ethos of their work and the monetization of their whelps?
xo
:santa: