e-flux Conversations has been closed to new contributions and will remain online as an archive. Check out our new platform for short-form writing, e-flux Notes.

e-flux conversations

How can we search for the collective revolutionary image?

In an interview with Midnight Eye, Masao Adachi says, “I’m using the word ‘revolution’ in its most general sense, talking not only about revolutionary movements in the field of politics, but also in the arts and other socio-economic areas.”

What is the future video/film image of resurrection? How can we search for the collective revolutionary image?

giphy, obvi.

2 Likes

I screen grab the moment/ a televized moment ( Des Moines, 1977) when Anita Bryant, anti-gay activist/ former runner up to Miss America (1957) is pied in the face by gay activist. I reach backwards towards a future revolutionary image.

Prior Bryant, the spokeswoman for Florida citrus growers, had been recruited by a Christian group to fight against an anti-discrimination ordinance. My semi-blind grope touches against the creaming fruit pied mark; its beautiful when frozen. The audio includes her whimper. How does the revolution attend to the humiliations of the enemy- imagined, imaged, and lived?

1 Like

[…] Perhaps the question today is not what to do, but how to do it. What is needed is to create zones of opacity where bodies are no longer separate from their claims or their gestures, enabled by sites of enunciation (rather than of visibilization) where a political stand can be taken beyond the exhausted frames of left and right. The gap that the mediatization of mediation created between speech and action needs to be overcome, speaking back, in order to wage a war in the name of our nameless existence. […]

2 Likes