e-flux Conversations has been closed to new contributions and will remain online as an archive. Check out our new platform for short-form writing, e-flux Notes.

e-flux conversations

Contrat entre les hommes et l’ordinateur

In search of the post-capitalist self, I would like to contribute a short text I wrote and presented as a performance for the “Kopie Theater,” an event curated by Ian White as part of the 60th Berlin International Film Festival. It is an attempt to inform our understanding of “declarations of independence,” necessary in light of the possible new relationships to be had with the intelligent apparatuses and image-making machines we are invited to use for “free” to communicate. I refer to Hannah Arendt’s vita activa and to Olympe de Gouges’ concept of a “Contrat social de l’Homme et de la Femme” from 1789.

Preamble

I.

An urgent situation has arisen through the evolution of my body and spirit in relation to the use of instruments—specifically of the electronic data-processing machine—which compels me, in the full tradition of earlier revolutions, to socially revive the philosophy of emancipation.

II.

Read the full article here.