e-flux Conversations has been closed to new contributions and will remain online as an archive. Check out our new platform for short-form writing, e-flux Notes.

e-flux conversations

"A Text That Should Never Have Been Written?" by Ekaterina Degot

"There is no guarantee of emancipatory potential in contemporary art, and neither are there specific forms that would assure us of the correct political behavior of their creators, let alone their owners. Increasingly, we hear of such a thing as a left-wing rhetoric (and maybe not even just a rhetoric) of the right wing, and we see contemporary-looking (and maybe even contemporary-thinking) art that embraces nationalism and dictatorship…

"Its most naive version is literally an expensive commodity for rich collectors. Its more sophisticated variant is exclusive knowledge for an intellectual elite: to appreciate a socially oriented work of contemporary art, you have to belong to a sophisticated international community…

“Slavoj Žižek has said again and again that the eternal marriage between capitalism and democracy has ended, but perhaps we must say the same of the supposedly eternal marriage between contemporary art and progressive thinking?”

—Ekaterina Degot, “A Text That Should Never Have Been Written?,” e-flux journal no. 56, June 2014

6 Likes

this quote from the text seems to be the answer to the question:

‘The liaison of critical theory and visual art dates back to the 1990s, and is not without its material motivations, not least through the sheer amount of money circulating in the latter sphere.’

as long as art system remains a kind of last resort for critical thinking for material reasons, since it is hardly funded anywhere else - marriage between contemporary art and progressive thinking will last, even if this will lead to the thinking become less and less ‘progressive’

4 Likes

The effort is then made to escape art as we have it, perhaps for a more valid, more immediate, perhaps more populist or accessible kind of art which, for that reason, would have yet greater critical-political traction than institutionalized art.

http://artistsspace.org/programs/on-the-necessity-of-arts-exit-from-contemporary-art

Another tactic might be to strive to be ignored by the contemporary art system while gathering other kinds of attention. So, working inside art but not for contemporary art - becoming irrelevant for its forms of information distribution and ascribing value.

11 Likes

For me the question is: does progress occur inside of an art context? or more importantly, but also more tenuous and impossible, can it? and if not, then what?

There is something in the introduction to the text that reads, “Subversive positions are fragile and context-dependent. They are always at risk of turning into legitimations.”

This seems like a very good summary of what I see occurring. So little art is made in the subversive space because the market leaves artist’s and viewers in such a tenuous place that seeking legitimation is often as good as it gets.

Both Charles_esche and anton:

The moment I think was the most significant in Marchel Duchamp’s career (if you will) is when he invented the Rotoreliefs. He took them to an inventor’s convention (arguably a more progressive community, at least in mission) and none of them sold. Duchamp was pretty progressive as an artist, but this really seems like the place where his ideas were the most vulnerable. I don’t think this solves the problem, but it does allow you to maybe circumvent it a bit?? Raivo Puusemp left the art world, but before doing so he composed a list of people (former artists) who had also left and the alternatives that they were replacing their art practices with. A lot of the items on the list are kind of artisan and craft-based practices, but an almost equal number of them are social and political practices, or at philosphical/ideological kinds of movements.

I was talking to a curator last night. He’s someone with whom I also have a personal relationship, which I do think altered our conversation. But he said something that I feel is nevertheless interesting, and very discouraging.

In response to my lack-luster demeanor when asked about the current show of paintings in his galley, he told me that he was recently at dinner with a very well known artist, and another artist friend. Matthew Barney’s work came up and the lesser known artist started to say something about how he liked some of his projects, and not others. As my curator-friend told it, the canonized contemporary artist then cut the lesser known artist’s speech off by asking him,

“Well, what have you done.”

My friend then repeatedly explained that the paintings in question had critical acclaim in LA and that the painter was attached to some significant galleries in LA, and had shown with artist’s who are well-known and who he knew I respect.

Because of these circumstances, he felt that it was incumbent on us to come to understand why the work is good, rather that to attempt to judge it’s merits. The economic and critical/ academic/ conceptual markets would decide for us. I objected, but primarily on the assumption that progressive thinking is still the thing of value. His attitude is one that subverts and squashes progressive thinking, but reifies the system.

I am not sure if his response to me was a kind of aggressive response to a critic of his curatorial programming or if it is really the way things are going, but I definitely don’t think legitimization as commodity (material or intellectual) is enough. And I think we can even begin to discuss the commodification of progress (or progressive thinking). The art community in the states is still very much focused on capitol and prestige.

I guess all of this is to ask about the impulse to contemporary art. I still think it is an impulse toward more progressive language and thinking, but the more these things become assimilated into the pre-digested rubric, the less they seem to actually occur. The thing that I am most concerned about is the idea of an intellectual elitism that disenfranchises a lot of people, but satisfies those at its center. A lot of the projects that I consider to be most progressive and inventive are difficult to engage with because of that kind of avant-garde-new-thing-violence that accompanies them, so it is easy to believe that people are disinterested in progressive things because they are hard, rather than recognizing that what you are producing is not particularly progressive anyway. It’s incredibly easy for projects to become super saturated, and loose their effectiveness in the process. Its always a return to the problem of all utterance, which we seem to have somehow overcome without really digesting it. Deconstruction might be over, but I don’t thing that we have even begun to see its real consequences. Counterintuitively, maybe the more we ignore these consequences, in the name of moving forward, the less progress we will actually make.

2 Likes

vintage e-flux journal, Marjetica Potrč from issue 0, november 2008! An oblique defense of gated communities and asymmetrical ethics:

When such communities reach out to others, they want to do it on their own terms. They want to interact in a positive way with others and at the same time remain separate. By reaffirming their own territories, they are actively participating in the creation of twenty-first-century models of coexistence, where the melting pot of global cities is balanced by centers where people voluntarily segregate themselves. After all, one of the most successful and sought-after models of living together today is the gated community—the small-scale residential entity. But unlike gated communities, which represent static strategies of retreat and self-enclosure, the new territories in Acre are dynamic and proactive: they reach out to others.

2 Likes

I really love this drawing and I think the general utopic vision here is pretty great, but I think its just that: too good to be true.

I am suspicious of this connecting-on-they’re-[the ‘your’ is implied here] own-terms-fantasy (think: Zizek+Lacan). It seems kind of like it might be a misnomer. There is a kind of special interest in maintaining the community’s status quo embedded here that seems like it defies the idea of connecting to or conceiving of the other, which is here represented by anyone who is not already included in the isolated community. Does progress involve allowing all new things to be on the table of possibilities and permissible ideas or does it require a defined group trajectory? Is progress about moving into the totally unknown (which is how I have kind of understood it in the past) or is it about the instantiation of things that can only come through a more conservative concentration of resources and objectives? Something less didactic and subtler than what I have outlined here??

I am going to go back and read the e-flux article and thinking about it a little more, but this is just what I am thinking at first blush. I am so happy someone is talking about all of this and to be involved!!!

3 Likes