e-flux Conversations has been closed to new contributions and will remain online as an archive. Check out our new platform for short-form writing, e-flux Notes.

e-flux conversations

The ideology of being "passionate" about your work

https://www.jacobinmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/steve-jobs-speech.jpg

At the Jacobin magazine website, Miya Tokumitsu write about the ideology of being “passionate” about your work, which is measured by long hours at the office and working through the weekend. She traces this ideology to Silicon Valley workplace culture, which has helped to erode the separation between work and life. Here’s an excerpt:

There are numerous reasons for the disappearance of the forty-hour workweek, but journalist Sara Robinson singles out work cultures that promote worker passion as one of them. She sees this culture taking root first in the defense and then in the tech industries in late twentieth-century California…

Passion as measured by hours has put the workweek on a course of runaway inflation, to the point at which people are actually shortening their lives and endangering others — sometimes in sudden, tragic form — in pursuit of an ever-elusive ideal of capitalistic individualism.

Why do we allow ourselves to continue like this? If, according to the “Do What You Love” ethic, the pleasure of work derives from the very act of production, what are workers doing during all of those surplus hours when they are not, well, producing or producing only poorly? Why are salaried workers lingering in the office after their work is done or when they are beyond the point of meaningful production, only making themselves less effective in the long term?

The answer clearly has nothing to do with economic rationality and everything to do with ideology. Although simple Excel charts may present the flimsiest guise of empirical, objective data about workers’ supposed passion, the truth is that passion doesn’t equal hours spent in the office, nor does it necessitate burning oneself out. Passion is all too often a cover for overwork cloaked in the rhetoric of self-fulfillment.

Image: Steve Jobs speaks during the MacWorld Conference in San Francisco in 2008. Via Jacobin.

The notion that one has to find fulfillment in one’s production is certainly an ideology. It is the core ideology of our present day system and, without it, such system simply collapses. But, what strikes me the most about this scenario is not the ideology itself (of course, a system that only values production needs to sell to its participants that production is the only thing that matters), but how easily we buy it. Once I was working in a design office and there was a big meeting to discuss new ways to improve its working system, I suggested that we should cut down the working hours to three, and explained how this could actually happen if we focused more ourselves and also showed how this could make the whole office more efficient. Even though I knew there was no chance they would accept this, I was not joking at all. The response from all my co-workers was as if I had proposed to shoot someone in the head everyday. I felt quite astonished by how unthinkable this was for them, how cutting hours of work to the actual human capability of efficiency in one task (according to some scientific studies apparently) sounded like such a blasphemy. Thus, I think it’s quite good if we start seeing the paradigm of “passion for production = life fulfillment” as an ideology, and especially as an ideology that is not true. Certainly there has to be much more to the human life than just production.

It would be interesting to somehow measure the actual production that takes place during an work day.