e-flux Conversations has been closed to new contributions and will remain online as an archive. Check out our new platform for short-form writing, e-flux Notes.

e-flux conversations

Do you have to be rich to make it as an artist?

Today at Artnet, Ben Davis asks an uncomfortable but increasingly unavoidable question: “Do You Have to Be Rich to Make It as an Artist?” To help answer this, Davis looks at the economic background of artists who had prominent New York museum shows in 2015. The results are mixed, with some artists hailing from wealthy backgrounds (e.g., Dash Snow, Rachel Rose) and others from middle- or working-class backgrounds (e.g., Wolfgang Tillmans and Oscar Murillo). In fact, Davis has trouble answering the question definitively because class is such a taboo subject in the art world. Here’s an excerpt:

Economics remains a blind spot at the heart of the discourse. It is such a blind spot, in fact, that I can’t even really know whether the assertion that “more and more cultural space is being occupied by extremely wealthy cultural producers” is correct. I have only the data of ad hoc counting exercises as a guide.

That British survey takes place in the context of cuts to public funding for culture, and is explicitly framed around the hypothesis that there has been a decline in social mobility in the arts. In the US, there are plenty of local stories, like the ending of free tuition at Cooper Union, that would suggest to me that the odds have gotten longer for those who aren’t born into privilege. (It may be worth noting here that the Rose family plays a bit part in that story: Rose’s grandmother, Sandra Priest Rose, sits on the school’s much-hated board, which made that fateful decision. Her father, Jonathan Rose, happens to have been the developer behind Cooper Union’s flashy, costly new building, which went significantly over budget and has been a financial stone around the school’s neck.)

The truth is, I just don’t know how much longer the odds have become.

We haven’t even turned on the lights, let alone begun to figure out how to get the house in order.

Image: Rachel Rose, still from Everything and More (2015), via Artnet. According to Ben Davis, Rose “hails from one of New York’s most powerful real estate fortunes.”

It depends on what “making as an artist” means. If it means to have exhibitions in the institutionalized art world, then I believe it has more to do with how good the artist is at networking and promoting himself than with the actual work she or he does. In this sense, I think that artists who come from a wealthier background have a better chance of being accepted at this game. However, if “making as an artist” means to lead a meaningful life, then I don’t think that having money in the bank matters too much, as in this case the most valuable asset is time.

3 Likes

Regardless, discursive emphasis on wealth and class in the context of the ontology of contemporary art can have a positive impact on an art critic’s career. However, I am not convinced that reducing the discussion of art to its economy can benefit art in the long run.

2 Likes

wait, so privilege helps people? :scream:

1 Like

Perhaps a better question is “Do you have to be rich to have a voice as an artist?”

I found this article problematic–the question of whether or not you have to be rich to make it as an artist is a straw man. Given that there are, well, thousands of famous/financially solvent artists who did not come from wealth, I am left wondering why anyone would bother asking the question. (I also concur with @bernardo that whatever “making it” means remains elusive.)

The most obvious reason for this fake argument is the resultant page views from a public call-out/car crash scenario, and it seems cruel to single out Rachel Rose for ArtNet News traffic. Despite her financial privilege, she is still a young female artist who must overcome some adversity to “make it.” Having more of a production budget and less overall financial precarity certainly helps everyone succeed, but it isn’t a guarantee nor a requirement for success.

1 Like