e-flux Conversations has been closed to new contributions and will remain online as an archive. Check out our new platform for short-form writing, e-flux Notes.

e-flux conversations

Coverage of "Quasi-Events" with Elizabeth Povinelli and friends at e-flux in NYC

The film:

The audience:

Here’s piece from Elizabeth Povinelli about her work with the Kerrabing film collective:

“The Karrabing Indigenous Corporation seeks to integrate their parents and grandparents ways of life into their contemporary struggles to educate their children, create economically sustainable cultural and environmental businesses, and support their homeland centres. The Karrabing Film Collective makes films that analyse and represent their contemporary lives. But they also believe that in making their films they are keeping the country alive by acting on their country—not merely making a film representing their lives in the country, but paying attention to their country as they make a film in and about it.”

www.karrabing.com

The film has concluded. We’ll now have a conversation among Elizabeth Povinelli, filmmaker Liza Johnson, and David Barker, who edited When the Dogs Talked.

David: This is the first time I’ve seen the movie since I made the final cut. What strikes me about it is its “generosity.”

Elizabeth discusses the “non-eventness” of the film. The setting and action of the film may seem mundane, but there is meaning and truth in this non-eventness.

Okay, that wraps up the (non)event for tonight. The audience is stretching, mingling, talking. Thanks for following our live coverage. Please share your thoughts by clicking “Reply” below. We want the conversation to continue well beyond tonight’s (non)event.

We’ll be using this conversation platform to cover future events, both at e-flux and “in the field.” Stay tuned.